7 comments

Windows 7 & Reverse Lookup DNS Registration [Update]

Published on Thursday, June 27, 2013 in ,

A while ago I wrote this post: Windows 7 & Reverse Lookup DNS Registration One of the problems with the approach was that adding the command: netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp register=both only worked for the wired network adapter. We’re having more and more PC’s connecting over a recently installed wireless network and also our machines connected over VPN aren’t properly registering their reverse records. The reason for this is that both Wireless and VPN connections come with their own adapter with it’s own setting.

We played with the idea of scripting our way round this to get all adapters this particular setting, but I figured I’d give another attempt at looking for the right GPO which should do this with way less hassle. And here it is:

netshRegisterAdapterNameGPO

The GPO which does the exact same thing as the netsh command, or checking the checkbox Use this connection’s DNS suffix in DNS registration is located below Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client. It’s called Register DNS records with connection-specific DNS suffix. I have no idea why I didn’t managed to find this one 2 years ago, but better late than never. This GPO will set the registry value RegisterAdapterName to 1 below the Policies hive. In fact, the netsh command or the checkbox I mentioned before will set the exact same key but then below the guid for that specific adapter.

Note: whether or not it’s a best practice to let clients register their own reverse records in stead of the DHCP server I’ll leave in the middle. In my situation the DHCP is a non-windows based solution and our DNS zones only allow secure updates. Therefor we choose to have the clients to the updates themselves.

Related Posts

7 Response to Windows 7 & Reverse Lookup DNS Registration [Update]

Anonymous
21 March, 2014 02:52

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to get to work tomorrow to try this. I've been looking for weeks. Thanks

Anonymous
10 April, 2014 06:45

I managed to do thru GPO but only one sec has taken the setting what if i want to do this for all network cards ?

Anonymous
10 April, 2014 07:32

hey thomas my dhcp is configured on server 2003 if I migrate my DHCP to server 2008 will this be resolved ?

10 April, 2014 07:56

I don't think migrating your DHCP server will solve anything. You might be facing other issues. On the other hand. Migrating to 2008 or perhaps even 2012 might be a good plan as 2003 will be EOL in a year orso.

Anonymous
11 April, 2014 01:21

Hi Thomas thanks for your response I meant to say set up DHCP from scratch on a server 2008 OS instead of 2003 this should resolve our issue correct ?

11 April, 2014 07:56

I don't think so. I don't see any particular reason why the DHCP (or the clients of it) can't register their addressses for a 2003 DHCP server but can for a 2008 DHCP server.

Anonymous
14 April, 2014 03:55

I read somewhere this only happens with windows 7 clients correct me if I'm wrong at the moment I don't have xp client to test it the reserve records

Add Your Comment